Sunday, May 23, 2010

Full-On Tourist Day (Part 3) - Tuesday, 18 May 2010


St. Catherine’s Pier Area
After wandering around the Tower of London area, I decided to walk down by the water, and then over to an area called St. Catherine’s Pier. There are old warehouses down here that have been turned into fancy hotels, loft flats, and restaurants. It’s all been done quite well; it’s a lovely area.
Sundial Plaque at the Tower Hotel

Sundial at the Tower Hotel

The Dickens Inn was particularly nice, so I got this shot of it.
The Dickens Inn at St. Catherine’s Pier

It must be a pretty ritzy area, as there was a small marina with rather large yachts.
Yachts at St. Catherine’s Pier Marina

Replica of an Old Sailing Boat at St. Catherine’s Pier Marina

There were still old, possibly ancient cobblestones on the streets around there, and to my surprise, many, many people came running and jogging by. I think there must be a marathon happening soon or something. Even so, running on those uneven, stone cobbles must be excellent training for running on smooth asphalt. But it can’t be good for one’s body.
As usual, I was lost in no time. I decided to find my way back to the Tube and go over to the Queen’s Walk area near the London Eye and the National Theatre; that had seemed quite interesting from the boat and I wanted to get a closer look.  And as usual, it took me some time to find my way to a Tube station. I think I was halfway across the river at one point before I asked the right person for directions. She showed me a small path through a wall surrounding a garden/park, and told me to bear left, then right, then head up a few stairs, then back down, and finally I’d see signs to the station. Could I have done that on my own? Thank goodness Londoners are so very, very friendly! I finally did get on the Tube, and was quite glad to sit down, too.
Next post: The Queen’s Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment