Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Notting Hill & Bayswater - Thurs 20 May, 2010


Notting Hill
So today I want to check out some boutiques in Notting Hill. One of my guide books says there are a bunch of cute stores on Westbourne Grove and Ledbury Roads, so I plan out which Tube lines to use and at which stop to get off. Where I’m going is quite near where I stayed those few days back in 2005 when I was here, but I’m not sure if I’ll recognize it at all, since I was quite sick back then and everything’s a bit hazy from that time.  I come up out of the underground station to find myself looking at one of those intersections that has about 7 streets coming into it, some of which are quite small and others that are major roads. I actually ask a policewoman which way the road I want is, and she points me down a small lane. It’s full of fun stores with touristy stuff like Beatles’ T-shirts and miniature guitars, punk clothing and wigs, etc. I thoroughly enjoy walking down this street, checking out all the display windows.
Soon I’m crossing the one big street on my map and headed up a residential lane to the shopping area. The houses and gardens here are grand and beautiful.
Notting Hill Semi-Detached Houses

I soon find the shopping area, which is very small, only about 3 blocks long.  It’s full of artsy boutiques and campy clothiers.
Exlusive Notting Hill Shopping Area

 I look in just about every one of the stores, but nothing is really to my taste. And it is all extremely expensive. I think about eating in one of the upscale cafés there. I could sit and pretend I’m rich enough and hip enough to enjoy what’s on offer at the stores, but I’m not really in the mood for acting so much as actually finding some nice stuff. So I head back.
Bayswater
Or so I thought. I do recognize the streets for a while, and think I’m headed back to the same Tube station I’d come in on, but at one intersection I get turned completely around , I guess, because when I finally figure out where I am on my map, I’m halfway into the Bayswater borough.  So, even though I’m tired, and getting a bit hungry, I decide to push on toward a different Tube station.  One great thing about being on vacation, for me, is the ability to completely change my plans if circumstances (or my being directionally challenged) dictate. One is never too far from a Tube station, so if I can manage to keep from going ‘round in circles, I’ll probably end up at one soon.
To my delight, I pass a lot of thrift stores on my way. Most of them are charitable institutions, with much of the profit going to helpful organizations. Now this is my kind of shopping! I forgot to say in the last posting that in Selfridge’s Department Store there was an Oxfam room. This was a room where celebrities like Madonna, Amy Winehouse, Zoë  Ball, etc have donated items to sell, the profits going to Oxfam International.  Apparently Annie Lennox and some other women have gotten famous designers to donate as well, and the stars staff the room off and on. (Check out this link for more info.) I didn’t notice any famous people when I was there, but the stuff was cool. Reason I bring this up now is because there was another Oxfam store in Bayswater, so I popped in. And then I popped into the Salvation Army and about 6 other stores. It was fun to listen to people’s conversations and see what locals wear and give away. In one store a woman was squealing with delight as she found not one, but two vintage dresses that fit her. What fun!



I pass another baby elephant statue, stuck off in a corner. I might write to the Guardian or some other paper and tell the how I found all of them.


Bayswater Baby Elephant Statue


But I am seriously tired now, my feet are aching, and I should’ve eaten hours ago. I’m tempted to stop in a Persian restaurant where some older gentlemen are seated outside, smoking from hooka-like pipes, but I don’t. Instead I listen to the Saturn voices in my head reminding me that I have food at home that should be eaten before I go away to Manchester tomorrow, so I round the corner and head for the Tube station. I must’ve passed 12 restaurants on the way, but my practicality just won’t allow me to spend more money on food.
I make it home and start eating anything that isn’t nailed down. And then I sit for the rest of the day. I’m not used to day after day of walking for miles, standing on subways, and wandering through shops. I hope between these activities and walking up to the 5th floor every day that my heart and legs are getting healthier. I know my back isn’t always too happy. And I don’t even want to think about my blood sugar on the days when I don’t eat for 5 hours.  All in all though, it’s probably healthy to be doing this much walking around, so I’m going to concentrate on that.
Next post: Manchester

3 comments:

  1. After you go through tourist "foot camp", you will be a stronger person! Go Renee, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Renee, Are you feeling the energy of Uranus and Aries there?
    How about Pluto and this "dark" screen in your Blog connecting with your stories? They are so full of power and transformation!
    Keep going and Kudos to you my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mishko, I definitely do feel like I'm in "foot camp" some days--that's spot on!

    Claudia--Uranus in Aries: we astrologers are all talking about it, but I'm not sure if I'd notice a change in energy since I'm still getting used to London. It's a vibrant but fairly mellow city, mostly because it's so tolerant of its great diversity. There are many more/different ethnic groups here than even in the SF Bay Area, and everyone seems to get along well, share cultures (food, art, music, etc.) I just love that. BTW, my great wish for Uranus in Aries is that someone discovers how to use solar fusion for energy--inventing a way to use explosions of fire in a channeled and controlled means. That would be a perfect use of the transit, I think.

    I don't know about how much Pluto played a part in my choice of this blog template, but I like the fact that you're feeling power and transformation. Thanx!

    ReplyDelete